Tehran, Riyadh pave way for resumption of talks

ISLAMABAD, April 24 ( Alliance News): A senior Iraqi official says key talks between Iran and Saudi Arabia, which have been stalled since last month, have resumed.

The Iranian news agency Nour News confirmed that “senior officials from Iran’s Supreme National Security Council attended a meeting with the head of the Saudi intelligence agency.”

The Shiite-majority country of Iran and the Sunni kingdom of Saudi Arabia support rival factions in a number of disputed areas in the region, including Yemen, where Houthi rebels have the backing of Tehran, and a military coalition supporting the Riyadh government. Leads.

In 2016, Iranian protesters attacked the Saudi diplomatic mission in Iran after Saudi Arabia executed a respected Shiite cleric, Nimr al-Nimr, in response to which Riyadh severed ties with Tehran.

The talks in Iraq are the fifth in a series of meetings between Tehran and Riyadh last year, aimed at restoring ties between the two countries.

“It is expected that a joint meeting between the foreign ministers of the two countries will be held in the near future,” Noor News reported.

“The positive atmosphere of the recent meeting has raised hopes for the resumption of bilateral relations,” he said.

In March, Iranian media reported that Saudi Arabia had announced that it had executed a record 81 people in just one day for various crimes related to “terrorism”, including the Houthi rebels. Iran has since suspended its intention to participate in the talks.

However, in early March, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said that “Iran and Saudi Arabia are neighbors and it is better for both countries to work on it and find ways in which we can live together.”

His remarks were welcomed by Iranian Foreign Minister Hussein Amir Abdullahian.

Amir Abdullahian had said that “our views and perspectives on some issues in the region are different but compromising on differences between the parties can serve the interests of both the countries”.

Attack on the commander of the Revolutionary Guards
Foreign news agency Reuters quoted Iranian state media as saying that gunmen in southeastern Iran opened fire on a car carrying a senior Revolutionary Guards commander, killing one of his bodyguards. ۔

The state-run IRNA news agency reported that Brigadier General Hussein Almasi, commander of the Guards, survived the attack in Sistan-Baluchistan province, while the attackers were arrested.

Erna added that Mahmoud Abshalom, the bodyguard killed in an attack near a checkpoint in the provincial capital Zahedan, was the son of a senior commander in the region.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here