ISLAMABAD, Aug 03 (Alliance News): The United Nations has said that the warring parties in Yemen have agreed to extend the ceasefire agreement for 2 months.
According to foreign media, Hans Grundberg, the United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen, said in a statement that the parties should speed up negotiations to reach an extended ceasefire agreement as soon as possible. It has also been agreed to do’.
Sources said Hans Grundberg was pushing for a six-month ceasefire with additional measures, but both sides have reservations about implementing the existing ceasefire agreement and deep-rooted mistrust.
U.S. and Omani officials are also in talks with the parties to support Hans Grundberg’s proposal after President Joe Biden announced an agreement to extend the ceasefire as a result of bilateral talks during a visit to Saudi Arabia last month. were
Thousands have been killed and millions are starving in the conflict, which has pitted the Saudi-led coalition against the Iran-backed Houthi group.
The internationally-recognised government has accused the Houthis of interfering in talks to reopen main roads in the disputed Taez region.
The Houthis, on the other hand, accused the Saudi-led coalition of not delivering the agreed number of fuel shipments to Houthi-held Hodeidah and the capital Sanaa.