Home Security Security forces neutralise nearly 50 terrorists in Balochistan, KP operations

Security forces neutralise nearly 50 terrorists in Balochistan, KP operations

ISLAMABAD, Aug 21 (Alliance News): Security forces and police have killed 49 militants in a series of intelligence-based operations in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and Balochistan, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).

The military’s media wing said the operations were conducted over the past few days as part of the ongoing counterterrorism campaign against militant groups operating in the two provinces.

According to the ISPR, 12 militants were killed during multiple intelligence-based operations in KP, while 37 militants were killed in 10 separate operations in Balochistan.

The operations involved security forces and police and were described by the ISPR as “high-tempo joint intelligence-driven operations”.

12 militants killed in KP

In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the ISPR said security forces conducted intelligence-based operations in Bannu, North Waziristan, Orakzai and Khyber districts.

The operations resulted in the deaths of 12 militants, whom the military described as members of Fitna al-Khawarij.

Security personnel also recovered and destroyed a large quantity of weapons and explosives during the operations.

According to the ISPR, the recovered material included explosives, improvised explosive device (IED) detonating remotes, weapons, ammunition and motorcycles.

The military said the recovery of the equipment indicated the militants’ preparations and capability to conduct attacks in the affected areas.

37 militants killed in Balochistan

In Balochistan, security forces conducted 10 intelligence-based operations in Mastung, Mach, Khuzdar and Panjgur districts.

The ISPR said 37 militants belonging to what it described as Fitna al-Hindustan were killed during the operations.

Security personnel also recovered and destroyed weapons, explosive drums and remote detonation equipment during the operations.

The military said the operations were conducted on the basis of intelligence regarding the presence and activities of militants in the respective areas.

The latest operations come after separate intelligence-based operations were conducted earlier this week in Ziarat, Harnai and Surab districts under Operation Rad-ul-Fitna-3.

Those operations resulted in the deaths of at least nine militants, while security personnel recovered ammunition, magazines, hand grenades, walkie-talkies, a motorcycle and other equipment.

Counterterrorism operations continue

The ISPR said the latest operations were part of the broader ongoing counterterrorism campaign aimed at preventing militant groups from carrying out attacks and dismantling their networks.

Security forces have increasingly relied on intelligence-based operations in areas where militant activity has increased, particularly in KP and Balochistan.

The two provinces share long and difficult-to-monitor borders and have remained major areas of concern for Pakistan’s security agencies.

The latest operations also come amid a broader increase in militant violence in Pakistan in recent years.

KP and Balochistan remain major violence hotspots

Pakistan has experienced a rise in terrorist attacks, particularly in KP and Balochistan, since 2021, when the Afghan Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan.

According to data cited from the Centre for Research and Security Studies (CRSS), the two provinces remained the country’s major hotspots for violence during the second quarter of 2026.

The report said KP was the worst-affected province during the period, recording more than 61% of all violence-related fatalities, with 475 deaths.

Balochistan accounted for another 34%, with 265 deaths.

Together, the two provinces accounted for nearly 96% of all violence-related fatalities recorded in Pakistan during the quarter, highlighting the scale of the security challenge facing the regions.

KP also recorded the highest number of violent incidents during the period, with 151 cases, representing around 57% of the nationwide total.

Balochistan followed with 94 incidents, accounting for approximately 35% of the total.

Security challenge remains

The figures underline the continuing security challenges faced by Pakistan, particularly in its western provinces.

While security forces have carried out frequent operations against militant groups, authorities continue to face attacks targeting security personnel, law enforcement agencies and civilians.

The government and military have repeatedly stated that intelligence-led operations will continue until militant networks are dismantled and the threat of terrorism is reduced.

The latest operations in KP and Balochistan are part of those continuing efforts, with security agencies focusing on intelligence gathering, targeted raids and the seizure of weapons and explosive material.

The ISPR said security forces remain committed to eliminating the threat posed by militants and preventing them from establishing operational bases in the affected areas.